Health and Wellness from Bath and Racquets Director Mario Pederzolli
Health and Wellness Goals in 2017
Hidden away on Brook’s Mews in Mayfair, the Bath & Racquets Club is a private Members’ squash and sports club that differs qualitatively from the vast mass of health clubs elsewhere. Opened in 1990 to extend the Birley way of life to the realm of exercise, the Club’s facilities are unparalleled: the gym area, set over two tiers, combines state-of-the-art equipment and plasma screens with antique Persian rugs and classically elegant design. The squash courts are arguably the finest in the country. As you would expect from The Birley Group, all needs are catered for: along with the physiotherapist, massage therapists, coaches and trainers, there is a barbershop and steam room, with all kit, towels and dressing gowns provided and laundered on site. The Members’ Dressing Room also houses a bar with an all-day menu and comfortable sofas to relax into after exercising.
With 2017 upon us, many of us now turn our thoughts to new year resolutions and heathier lifestyles. Mario Pederzolli, Club Director of the Bath and Racquets Club, shares his thoughts on the best way to approach health and fitness goals:
- Break the goal down into smaller, measurable and achievable steps over regular intervals. A classic example is weight-loss – it is far more motivating to reach smaller steps and you will be far more likely to keep your focus.
- Remember to reward success along the way – life is for living. A monastic existence in the pursuit of your goal will only make you unhappy. The last thing you want is to grow to resent your goal.
- Share your goals with friends and family. Support, encouragement (and pressure!) from those close to you will help keep you motivated.
- Do not worry about any temporary blips. That is all they are, after all – stay positive and use the blip as a learning experience.
- Reduce your stress. Whilst it is true that a little pressure in the workplace can be a good thing and often improves work performance, do ensure your broader lifestyle does not add to your stress. Make a conscious effort to be good to yourself - relax, sleep well, take holidays and socialize with friends where possible.